IndustriALL is launching an ambitious initiative on Sustainable Industrial Policy which aims to stimulate debate and action among affiliates and so promote a union perspective on the key sustainability issues for industry.
As trade unions, we need to develop our own vision of how our industries and jobs should be transformed to meet sustainability goals. We must also be able to identify the policy levers that may be used to implement that vision. That is why with our Sustainable Industrial Policy initiative we are taking an integrated approach that recognizes the role of technology, labour standards, social standards, environmental imperatives, trade agreements and the urgent need for governments to formulate progressive industrial policy’ said General Secretary Jyrki Raina. ‘Sustainability is the goal – industrial policy is the route we use to get there.
- Building a common understanding among affiliates on union priorities for sustainability and how to address them
- Encouraging affiliates in each industrial sector to develop a strategic approach to sustainability for that sector
- Identifying and sharing effective strategies that IndustriALL affiliates are using to influence their governments to focus on sustainable industrial policies
- Building union capacity to develop and promote sustainable industrial policies at national level
- Promoting discussion at company level through trade union networks in MNCs to identify measures that can be taken jointly by unions in different countries
- Bringing affiliates together at regional level to identify the key sustainability issues for their region and develop joint actions to promote them.
- Promote strong industrial policies that recognize manufacturing as a key engine of growth for national economies
- Encourage investment in research and development, and training and skills
- Support transfers of skills and technologies to developing countries
- Develop a proactive energy policy which establishes security and sustainability as the foundations of industrial production
- Encompass the principles of Just Transition.