Read this article in:
2 August, 2018IndustriALL is implementing the project Advancing social justice and workers' rights in the export processing zones and industrial areas in Sri Lanka with support from our Canadian affiliate UNIFOR. IndustriALL is looking to hire a coordinator for the project who will primarily report to the IndustriALL South Asia regional secretary and will work closely with IndustriALL's directors and project officer. The project is set to run from September 2018 until December 2020.
The project coordinator will:
- Coordinate project work as needed for the project Organizing EPZ workers in Sri Lanka, under the supervision of the regional secretary.
- Assist the Regional Secretary in drawing up a detailed work plan for the project, in consultation with the affiliates
- Liaise with affiliates in Sri Lanka for implementing the project.
- Work in close collaboration with IndustriALL affiliates, develop monthly, quarterly, half yearly work plan National joint activities and Local activities with each affiliates.
- Conduct all workshops and meetings as specified in the project document and report them to the Regional Secretary, including preparing agenda, identifying resource persons as needed, inviting participants.
- Organise and prepare project activities and workshops, including logistics.
- Help run educational seminars and trainings, assisted by the regional office and
- identify and brief local resource people
- Submit project reports as required according to agreed deadlines, including financial reports
- Work with the regional finance officer on the budget, expenditure, and financial reports as required and submit them as per agreed deadlines
- Work on all aspects of the project implementation, reporting and evaluation
- Assist in translation of documents as needed
- Assist in organising drives
- Assist in writing, producing and/or distributing materials and publications for use in the project activities
- Advise the regional secretary on political and trade union situation in Sri Lanka as needed
Qualifications and requirements
The project coordinator will have a good knowledge of workers rights and trade unions in Sri Lanka. A background in trade union education is desirable.
S/he will be able to interact with workers and unions, as well as the civil society. The coordinator will have good experience in working with trade unions/ community organisations. S/he will have a good command of Sinhala and English languages, in speaking and reading and writing. Knowledge of Tamil is an advantage.
Computer skills in MS office (word, excel) and emailing/ internet usage are necessary.
Interested applicants are required to email [email protected] with their CV, and a writing sample before 20 August 2018.